Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hiroshima

Hi from Hiroshima! We love it here. Hiroshima, which you all know was decimated by the A bomb on August 6th 1945, is a peaceful city with rivers snaking through and mountains on one side and the inland sea on the other. It's not as crowded as Tokyo and thus moves at a slower pace. There is even an entire section of the city that is designated a "beautification area" where no smoking is allowed outdoors. So, Zach is happy 'cause we got a hotel room with twin beds. We've been able to catch up on our sleep - except for one thing. Last night - in the middle of the night - I awoke to the feeling that I was suffocating in a sauna. I got up and realized that my attempt to turn the heater off before I went to bed, actually resulted in my turning it up. It was soooo hot. It didn't seem to bother Zach though. I kept trying to push buttons randomly in hopes that I'd get lucky and hit the right one. No luck. It kept blasting hot air. So, I had no other choice than to put my overcoat on over my pajamas and head down to the front desk. There, I managed to communicate to the sleepy front desk person that I needed to know how to turn off the heater. Rather than try to explain it to me, he said, " I will go to your room." Ok. Fine with me. Well, he showed me how to turn it off as well as down, and I was able to cool down a bit and get some more sleep. Anyway, here are some shots of our superior room in Hiroshima ($95/night with free breakfast). We even have a view of the river! Zach of course is happy as long as he can hook up the laptop in the room. I'm happy as long as I have a beer to drink and a few snacks to eat.



























1 comment:

C.C. said...

Hi! I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your tour of Japan!
My father was in Hiroshima right after the bombing in WWII. He walked that area as a Medic in the Army in 1945. It's amazing to see how lovely it looks now. I'm sure my dad would have loved to have seen it now. Also, my husband went to Japan in 2004 to visit his company's home office, and their other companies in Japan. He also loved the restaurants, and the way they served the food. He went to the Shrines, and Temples too. He caught the flu while there, and couldn't take hardly any pictures, sadly to say. But I did enjoy seeing your photos, as they gave me the tour my husband couldn't!

Sincerely,
Carol