Saturday, December 20, 2008

Greetings from Salem, Oregon

So I convinced my two travel buddies to head up to Anacortes for the winter break. One didn't take much to convince at all, but the other...oh...the ever-so-reluctant traveler. So here we are on our way to the San Juans. We usually do the drive in one day - it's manageable. I had heard, though, that a storm was approaching Washington and Oregon, but weather forecasts have been known to be wrong, right? And I thought that if we just went fast enough, we'd beat the storm. Well, plans don't always have a way of working out the way you want them to...

Here we are approaching Black Butte, near Mt. Shasta - sunshine all around us along with beautiful blue skies...

Here's Mt. Shasta as seen from speeding down I-5...

Oh my, the temperature keeps dropping...

This is the stretch between Yreka and the Oregon border...

Here we are heading into Ashland - the skies are turning grey...

Now here we are at the Best Western in Salem - too much snow on the freeway to safely continue to our destination...

It's just coming down, and down, and down...

The parking lot is starting to fill up with snow and cars...

Here's our transportation...

And our quaint motel...

With a bird feeder...

but I think we are stuck for a day or two - supposedly there is an ice storm coming tomorrow...
That's okay, though, because we have ice cold beer, crunchy pub mix, and a reliable internet connection!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! It makes me miss my last trip to Kushiro. I wish I could send you “Hokkairo” and some more food.

anm said...

Remember to stock up on more pub mix and granola bars when you can… Don't want your next post to be about how you've come to realize that the Donner party gets a bad rap.

Linnea said...

Hi Hisako and HotSauce...thanks for stopping by! We made it to our destination...happy winter. L.