Thursday, March 6, 2008

Finding food to eat

After school yesterday (Friday) I schlepped myself to the grocery store, a twenty minute walk away, so that I could buy some items that simply aren't available at the local convenience store, called OXXO (it's like a 7-11 chain). While I was shopping, I decided to splurge and get some ground coffee to replace the horrible instant coffee I'd been drinking all week long. When I woke up this morning, I was really looking forward to having some "real" coffee from the coffeemaker. Alas, to my surprise, I had bought decafinated coffee by accident. I should have known by the green color of the packaging. So I ended up adding some instant to the pot. Oh well! I'll have to go back to the store now and get the real thing.

Groceries are, surprising, pretty much the same price as they are in the states - at least in the stores; I'm sure prices are lower at the local mercados. Fruits and vegetables are a bit cheaper as are paper products, but the usual staples are not a bargain. So Z and I have taken to eating our main meal out everyday. Restaurant prices are pretty reasonable and there's a good selection of "inexpensive" family restaurants in our area. Since the main meal is eaten anywhere between 1-5, we usually just hit up a restaurant on our way home from school. We've been having delicious Mexican concina, tacos, enchilladas, saladas, pollo, bisteak... Z really loves it and is eating quite well. We've found one restaurant in particular that we frequent more than any other, so the owners are getting to know us and even brought us extra bread the other day. Luckily I do at least 40 minutes worth of walking everyday (much of it uphill) along with some swimming; otherwise, I'd surely start gaining weight. Z on the other hand is TRYING to gain weight!

Last Sunday, when we went into town to check out the centro, we had lunch at Marco Polo, an Italian restaurant which offers a spectacular view of the cathedral. Here are some shots from our wonderful lunch:

These are the appetizers they brought us...

Here's the main course; we ordered pizza and vegetable salad...We almost couldn't finish it all...

I was quite satisfied after the meal...

No comments: