Saturday, April 13, 2013

Guemes Island, WA

Lovely Guemes Island is a short, five-minute ferry ride from Anacortes; the only way to get there is by ferry or private boat. I think the residents like it that way, too. The island is rural in character and has very limited resources. Many of the houses there are second homes, but there is a small group of citizens who call Guemes Island their permanent home. 

I've been eying this pretty island's shoreline for years, but I've never set foot on it. During my visit to the PNW for spring break, I finally decided to hop on the little ferry for a quick ride across the channel and take a driving tour of the island. I was very pleased with what I found, and now I understand why the residents fight so hard to retain their island's rural charm.

The ferry terminal on Guemes...
The community playground and park...
The one and only fire station...
The main highway...
The cemetery...





Guemes Island Resort - you can stay here or rent a private vacation home...

Water views looking east toward the mainland...
View of Cypress Island...
Farming is pretty big on Guemes...
Another typical roadside view...
Anderson's Store - the only store, restaurant, and bar on the island...



Views from Anderson's Store...



The shoreline below Anderson's Store...
Waiting patiently for the ferry - with a view of Anacortes on the other side of the channel...
What a charming place! Because of its rustic nature, Guemes has a totally different feel from Fidalgo Island. I don't know if I could live there, but I will travel across the Guemes Channel again to enjoy the relaxing pace of this quaint island getaway.

1 comment:

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What a beautiful island! Appreciate the tour and great photos!