Saturday, August 8, 2009

Monterey

Last Saturday I took my friends who were visiting from Japan to one of the number one tourist hotspots in California: Monterey. As is usual for this time of year, the morning was foggy but the temps were warm and by the afternoon blue skies appeared - except in Carmel where it always seems to stay foggy all day long during the summer months. The town was packed with tourists and to our surprise we happened upon a lively Turkish Festival going on at the Custom House Plaza. Here are some scenes from our day...

All the boats safe and sound in the harbor...





The colorful Turkish Festival...








The historic Custom House...


One of the most popular spots in Monterey...





After walking around Monterey, we headed over to Mission Carmel...











And then we strolled around Carmel Beach
where you can buy a small beachfront bungalow
for only four million bucks...

Scenic natural beauty, charming architecture, and fresh air galore...that's Monterey!

If you want to find out more about lovely Monterey and its surroundings, click HERE.

8 comments:

anm said...

Love the mission colors, and the Turkish festival sure looked fun... The pottery looked familiar, don't you think? :)

Chako-chan said...

I enjoyed the Turkish Festival, lively crowds, Old Fisherman's Wharf and more in mild sunshine! I feel like I did get to go to Monterey and Carmel this summer, and if I crave to be there later in the midst of work, I can always visit your blog. Thank you.

Girl Tornado said...

Ah, I do so love Carmel and Big Sur! Check here for my trip last Sept with my sis (who lives in San Mateo). This post is when only family & friends were really reading my blog!

http://oz-girl.blogspot.com/2008/10/big-sur-and-carmel-california.html

I love your photo of the two boats with the aqua seats, and the dishes are marvelous -- I love bright colors!

Cheryl Ann said...

Ah, Monterey! What beautiful photos you took! I miss Monterey. I've never been to the mission. I'll have to go someday! Thank you for sharing!

Ebie said...

Ive been to Monterey once and that was before blogging and photoblogging , hehehe! Your travelogue photos are just wonderful. Ive been to 3 missions already and I have notice that there are fountains in front of the church. And the Turkish Festival has a lot of colorful stuff on display! I like your 18-200 lens.

chrome3d said...

What a series of this fab place! I was strangely attracted to that restaurant by the sea with that yellow goo floating under it. Doesn´t that smell?

Mary said...

This looks like a wonderful place to visit with so much to see and do. I like that tiled wall about the sardine capital. Thanks for visiting my blog.

diane b said...

Beautiful shots as always. I remember some of those places from a visit years ago.